Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Comfort Cookies

I got up this morning, just like every weekday morning, at 7am to take Lisi to school. I picked Tiuke's warm body up out of bed, and layed him softly on my shoulder while I carried him downstairs to buckle him into his carseat. We drove her to school, and when we got home I hoped that buddy would sleep til 9 like he does most mornings, I could really use the extra hour of sleep. My brain has been busy the last few nights and I haven't been able to get to sleep before 1am to save my life. But I wasn't that fortunate, Tiuke was awake & giggling and ready to take on the day. So I gladly put on a pot of coffee and talked and giggled with him in bed. I was actually glad to be awake, even though I was tired, I was determined to mark off a good chunk of things from my "to do" list.

Do you see where this is going? Well, the deep cleaning that I really thought I'd get done today, didn't. And I didn't get a single load of laundry in the washer. I didn't even make the bed, (but I heard making the bed actually promotes bed bugs, so I'm feeling ok about that!) Other than washing a few dishes & clipping my coupons, I didn't get anything done that I needed to. So, to make up for feeling like I just didn't accomplish enough, I decided to make some homemade chocolate chip cookies. Not those pre-made frozen cookies, oh no... these were from scratch!

Don't get me wrong, I love pre-made cookie dough just as much as the next girl. And I'm totally guilty of using it most of the time when I'm making cookies, but I had a dream.... that's right, I had a dream about homemade chocolate chip cookies. There's just something about the taste, and even the smell of chocolate chip cookies made from scratch that you just don't get from the pre-made dough.

And they did not disappoint.


I forgot how much a single batch will make though, so I took some over to the neighbors, and I even bagged some and put them in the freezer so Duke can chow some down when he gets home!


And I must say, I've been feeling just a little bit lonely lately and really missing Duke, and nothing makes you feel more comforted than walking into a house that smells of homemade baked goodies. It's like walking into a time machine. I can just remember the smell of my house growing up when my mom was always cooking homemade treats, it's kind of like the comfort of chicken noodle soup when you're sick, only this is the comfort food for a lonely heart!

* * * * * * * *

I gave Tiuke his nightly bath tonight, and then handed him over to Lisi for a bit while I went downstairs, turned everything off, and grabbed the things I would be needing for the night (bottles, formula, binkies, etc). I had planned to come back upstairs and read buddy a book before putting him to bed, but instead I walked in to this...


He was OUT!! My cute little buddy must have been exhausted from watching all the coupon clipping I was doing today! I always look forward to reading with him at night, but when I walk upstairs to this it just melts my heart. He is just so dang cute. And it's UEA weekend, which means I get to sleep in for the next 5 DAYS!!!

With that said... happy long weekend everybody! I'm going to attempt to get some sleep now!

No comments:

Post a Comment